PEORIA -- Perplexed over whether to opt out from the new municipal electricity supply plan? Here's how to find out whether it will save you money.The opt-out deadline is June 1. If you're eligible for the plan you should have received an opt-out letter by now.
Chris Setti, Peoria's Special Projects Manager said in a email that "the negotiated price is $0.0408/kWh, well below the standard rate." That's 4 cents plus, per kilowatt hour.
If you want the hassle of checking on the web, here's how, But stay tuned, as there's a faster way I discovered, below.
- Go to www.ameren.com
- On the left side, login to your account (if you don't have an online account, you can register for one pretty easily).
- On the left side of the next screen, under "Customer Service Center" you will see and option (under "My Bills and Payments") called "My Account Details." Click this.
- A new window will pop up. In the top right corner of this window, click on "Usage History."
- Specific information about your account will now be visible. Near the middle of the window, you will see a link that says "Show More Detail." Click this.
- The window changes to show some expanded information. One of the items now visible is the "Comparison Price." If that number is greater than $0.0408/kWh, you are better off sticking with the program. If, for some reason, your number is lower than $0.0408, then you should opt-out. My number was $0.056439/kWh, so I'm going to join the program (by doing nothing)."
However: if this is too much hassle, just call the Ameren 800 number: 1-800-755-5000. Hit 'operator' then ask for the 'Comparison Price.' You'll get it in seconds.
I did it, and found my Peoria rate to be more than 5 cents per KWH -- so I'm happy to save money by staying in the new plan.
-- Elaine Hopkins