PEORIA, IL -- An 1866 Civil War monument missing since the Peoria County Courthouse was demolished and rebuilt in 1962 has been found, in pieces, in Detweiller Park.
The limestone monument as it originally stood at the old courthouse.
History and military buffs Bruce Brown, Norm Kelly and Bob Hoffer have searched for the obelisk for years, and finally located it. They displayed the pieces on July 23 to the media.
Two of the pieces years ago were appropriated for brass plaques, with others left to be guarded by trees and Canada geese. An eagle that once topped the monument is missing, as are the top pieces of the obelisk.
Bruce Brown examines what may be a missing piece of the monument, in a pile of rubble at Detweiller Park.
A piece of the monument appropriated for a plaque.
The monument's base, guarded by trees.
It's a shame that this monument was never reinstalled at its original site. Now its reconstruction is unlikely due to the missing components, especially the eagle.
-- Elaine Hopkins